HVACR NJ License Information and Bond Information – Purchase

Updated September 2014

NEW JERSEY, NJ, HEATING, COOLING, VENTILATING, REFRIGERATION CONTRACTORS need a $3,000. surety license bond when applying for the new HVACR license.  The bond will be effective the date processed and will expire June 30, 2016.  (same term as the license) (This date has been confirmed by the acting director of the HVACR Board and all the members of the HVACR Board during one of the several monthly meetings which James Franchino personally attended)  The term of the bond coincides with the two (2) year license.

The cost of this bond from this agency is $50. for the two year term.

The bond must be mailed to you since it has an original seal on it.  It cannot be emailed or faxed.

This bond is required by the NJ Board Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Contractors.  It’s intention is to protect the public and requires the HVACR contractor to follow the rules of the board.  The bond is to be submitted with the license application.

ie. If a HVACR contractor fails to perform a job, the customer complains to the board, and the contractor fails to make good, the NJ Board of HVACR Contractors will require that the bonding company providing the surety bond pay to the customer up to $3,000. to make good. The surety (bonding) company can then go after the  contractor to get back the money paid out.

The links below will take you to another page where you can choose to print out an order form to be mailed along with a check or to pay online by credit or debit card.

For over 30 years, The Franchino Insurance Agency has been one of the prime issuers of NJ Master Plumber Bonds, NJ Electrical Bonds, Alarm – Locksmith Bonds. We are quick and efficient!

The grandfathering period ended August 31st to become a Master HVACR contractor without taking a test. Contact the HVACR Board as the the procedures to apply for a license.

  • The bond is necessary for approved applicants seeking a Master HVACR Contractor License.
  • General liability is mandatory for all HVACR licensed contractors who intend to serve the public.  If you are an employee of an HVACR business you do not need your own general liability insurance, however if you decide to do “side work” then you will need general liability insurance.  All HVACR businesses need general liability insurance.  The licensed holder does not need the general liability insurance – the business does.  The insurance policy is written in the name of the business.
  • It is the responsibility for the bonafide representative to make sure that the business has general liability insurance of at least $500,000.
  • Please contact this agency to obtain a quote and purchase the coverage.  Go to our NJ HVACR  BUSINESS PAGE

HVACR Board Website

HVACR website Rules & Regulations

HVACR website Questions & Answers

Link directly to the application page  Click on the down arrow.  (apply for a license: choose one)

Second link to application page
Hint: You have to create a user name and password first.  Also scan your documents first that you are going to upload. 

Screenshots of application process

Checklist for application process


PURCHASE BOND BY MAIL – printable form to be mailed

Bonds are processed within two business days and are mailed the next day.  Bond numbers will not be given out over the phone.  Please wait for the mail. Bonds cannot be faxed, must be mailed because of the original seal on it.

Learn about HVACR Contractor licensing in New Jersey – NEWS! (2014)

This agency wants to provide liability, commercial auto, workers compensation, etc. coverage for you! Go to our NJ HVACR  BUSINESS PAGE learn, and request a quote.