Locations: Florham Park, NJ and Marysville, PA

Why You Should Never Work With Live Electricity

Why You Should Never Work With Live Electricity

As we all know, working with electricity is dangerous. A good electrician will always make sure they turn off the power source, test to make sure it is off, and still work cautiously as if the wires were still hot. Often, when the appropriate precautions are not taken, injuries that result in permanent damage can occur. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) establishes safety guidelines for all types of electrical workers. When being exposed to 1 mA of electricity, a worker may feel a tingling sensation. If they come in contact with electricity from 6 mA to 16 mA, the person will still have the ability to remove himself from the source. Beyond 17 mA, the victim will be unable to let go, and may suffer from damage to their internal organs, which eventually can lead to death. Below, are the reasons why you should NEVER work with live electricity.

Electrical Shock 

These shocks, at times, can be harmless. However, enough of an electrical shock can lead to a fire or even cause an explosion.

Electrical Burns

These are the most common shock-related injuries. They occur when your body comes into contact with electrical wiring, with the most common area of injury at the hands and feet. Deep burns may require major surgery and can be permanently disabling.

Loss of Muscle Control

Workers that experience electrical shock can sometimes have muscle spasms strong enough to break bones.

Thermal Burns

These burns are caused by objects that are thrown caused by a blast due to an electric arc.

Electrocution

After falling victim to an electrocution, you’ll rarely recover to your normal quality of life. Even with immediate medical attention, an electrocution can leave a person with severe nerve damage, organ damage, and vision, speaking and hearing defects.

In previous articles, we’ve mentioned what important items you should have in your electrical first aid kit. It also important to have someone nearby that is trained in CPR in the event of any accident.